We all know the saying, “Laughter Is The Best Medicine”. This is one of the easiest things we can do for better health. And it’s fun and feels good!
I just saw this great video from The Truth About Cancer. In the video, Dr. Contreras, distinguished oncologist and surgeon tells us that, “One minute of anger is six hours of depression. One minute of laughter will boost significantly your immune system for 24 hours”
In addition to laughter, music can boost our immunity too.
Laughter connects you with people. It’s almost impossible to maintain any kind of distance or any sense of social hierarchy when you’re just howling with laughter. Laughter is a force for democracy — John Cleese
Here are just a few of laughter’s many benefits:
- Boosts immunity – it improves the body’s natural defense mechanism by increasing the amount of immunoglobulin and T cells in the body
- Lowers Stress – it reduces the stress hormone cortisol and increases production of serotonin and endorphins making you happier as well
- Decreases pain – studies show that watching comedy films helps both children and adults to tolerate pain more easily
- Builds resilience – the ability to laugh when times get tough, is the best way to reduce stress and anxiety
- Increases oxytocin – oxytocin is a hormone that helps bond individuals and groups together and is sometimes called the love hormone. Positive benefits include reduced stress, a greater sense of attachment, improved social skills, anti-inflammatory, and better sleep
- Makes you look younger – laughter increases blood flow around your face and this helps make you look younger and healthier
What would happen if there was a requirement for everyone to watch something funny at least once a week? I guarantee we’d have a lot less crime in this world. So stop taking yourself so seriously all the time would you? 🙂
Take some time today to:
- Watch a funny movie or tv show
- Go to youtube and type in comedy (You can filter for Short (< 4 minutes) if you’re in a rush)
- Go to a comedy club
- Read a funny book
- Hang with funny people
- Play a funny joke, just as long as everyone can laugh in the end 😉
- Play charades
- Google funny phone autocorrects
- Google pictures of Walmart shoppers (please don’t take this as an endorsement for Walmart)
Whatever it takes, make sure you laugh today and play some enjoyable music as an added boost to your immune system.